Sunday, September 25, 2011

Roll Call

So far most of my favorite ideas have come from sugardoodle,  I would just leave them there, because I am not in any means trying to challenge sugardoodle, but I am simply using this blog to collect what ideas I think would be good to improve our nursery. I am a little bit nervous, being called as the nursery Leader, they have left the same nursery workers in there, so I am afraid to go in and tell them we are changing things. I hope they are greatful for the help and not resentful.  Craig and I will definatly prayerfully consider the changes we make, and how we make them. So these are just some of the ideas that I have found, they may or may not be used, and later posts I am sure will state what we have found to work, and what we feel the Lord wants us to do.

In the past few weeks I have noticed that a lot of kids come in and just scream, I think this is normal. Seperation is difficult for kids. My daughter is one of them. So I was talking to another mother who is in the same boat and she said that she has seen nurserys that this doesn't happen and the thing that makes a big difference is that they have an organized activity right in the beginning. it isn't just mass chaos. I can see how that would be helpful, coming in to lots of noise and chaos could be very overwhelming for little kids.

So I have been looking for ideas of what to do when the kids first come in. Some of the ideas I like are:
playdough
fruitloop necklaces
making a cave with blankets and reading stories
bubbles

I will be looking for more ideas in the next few weeks. If anyone has any ideas feel free to share.

So after five to ten minutes of that activity when all the kids for the day are there I think taking roll would be good (I plan on  having a check in process as well, which will be another post) but I think that physically taking roll so the kids know you are taking roll helps with a couple things. It teaches routine, which I think is one of the main purposes of nursery. It also shows the kids that we care if they are there and that we miss the children who are not there. It helps the adults in the room know the children's names, and it recognizes visitors.  I also think it would be a great time to highlight birthday kids (i am sure that birthday ideas will be coming as well. . I think it is important for every kid to feel very special and be highlighted). It is also a great time to introduce new kids.

I really liked this idea for roll call. I got it off of sugardoodle.net

After the children arrive and they are getting wiggles out from being in sacrament, we go through the roll by everyone getting out their pretend glasses (cupping hands around eyes like binoculars). I go through each name on the roll, asking all the children to look for "name of child". Everyone puts on their pretend glasses and I pretend I can't find them. The children get so excited when they find the "named" child. Then I say "There you are! I'm so happy to see you!" Continuing through the roll. When we get a child who is not present, I show sadness that they are not with us and move on to the next name. This helps the children know who visitors are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment