Sunday, September 25, 2011

Check in and Check out

I think it is very important to have a very organized check in and check out system. A couple weeks ago I substituted in nursery and parents would drop off kids and not saying anything, there were a couple of kids we didn't even know their names or who their parents were, there were new kids (which happens often in our ward because we have lots and lots of appartments and so people are always moving in and out) And then the parents would come pick up their kids without us even knowing. And then it was panic because we thought a kid escaped!  The saftey of the kids I think is the first and foremost important thing. If the kids are not safe, and do not feel safe, they will never feel the spirit, they will never learn and they will never make friends. I feel an organized nursery will help them feel safe and be safe. Also if I am constantly worry about who is lost, I won't have time to teach the rest of the kids. So the check in and check out systems are very important. So here are the ideas I have found that I like. Once again I think most of these have come off of sugardoodle.net

For Check in I liked this idea

It's hard to get names and faces for everyone. I brought my digital camera to church for several Sundays and took everyone's picture. Then I bought wooden flowers at the craft store, painted them all a different color, and glued their photo to a flower. The wooden flowers are indestructible, so the children can't smoosh them and ruin them. I used a Sharpie to write the child's name on the flower. We use a basket to hold the flowers, and as each child comes in, they find their flower and attach it to a poster that I made. It's a field of 'stems' with a piece of Velcro at the top of the stems. I have a Velcro dot on each wooden flower. The poster says: "Our Nursery Friends". The children love their flowers, and it gives them something to do when they get there. It helps with separation anxiety a little bit.
One thing I think I will change will be I want everything to have a teaching purpose, not just be cute. It needs to be functional and it needs to bare testimony of something in the gospel. So I thought I could either change the flowers to suns, and put at the top that Jesus wants me for a sunbeam. And every week we can talk about ways of being a sunbeam. So they think about it when they find their name on a sun.  Or I might find just little boy and girl figures and glue their faces on it and say something about being a Child of God. When Craig and I decide, what we think will be best I will put pictures.

For Check out I liked this idea



I have found that in nursery you have three kind of children. The ones that cry EVERY time the door opens, the runner who runs out when the door opens, and the ones who are bored.

I found a way to make all 3 happy. By putting their name on a star, outside on the door. Then the parents come to the door pull off there child's star. Sliding the star under the door, the children then RUN the star to the teacher to find out who is outside the door. Using the 2nd door in the room, the child with their name on the star goes through. Those who cry or run, are to busy waiting for their star to be doing so, and no one is bored.

Doing this has make pick up time so much easier and less crazy. You don't have to use stars. you can use just about anything: apples, animals, circles, squares, triangles...any kind of cut out you can think of.


I like the star idea because we can talk the song "I am like a Star Shining Brightly" We sing this every week in singing time and the kids love to do the twinkles with the stars, once again we can do a short weekly lesson on what it means to shine like a star. Repitition is important at this age. Also giving visual reminders  during the day is a great way to help instill in them a testimony of being a good example.

1 comment:

  1. I love what you said about props and materials not just being cute but having a specific testimony building purpose. Thank you for saying out loud what I've been feeling.

    ReplyDelete